Skip to main content

Surprise from a stranger - meeting Chuli Herrera

So imagine you post a picture on your social media. And bammmm!
You are all of a sudden famous. What would you do?
Some are attracted to this idea, and I would lie if I'd say I wasn't. But I was a bit shocked when I saw an artmirrorselfie hanging in an exhibition. But let's don't rush so fast forward!

In today's online world pictures and words travel faster than ever. This is why I am always careful about what and how I post.
One day ArtMirrorSelfies was tagged on a photo of a corner of a picture frame. Well...weird, but whatever. People are weird. Then weeks later it was tagged again by the same person on a blurry, half-done painting talking about "details" in Spanish. Still weird. "Am I being scammed somehow?" - I was wondering.

Then again a couple of weeks later I was tagged on pictures of an opening, in a gallery with similar style paintings, and all of the paintings had the same topic: Art Mirror Selfies.

This is how I found Chuli Herrera - or he found me in fact - a young artist from Cuba.

His exhibition opened in March in Galería Galiano, Havana, Cuba. His perception in this exhibition was observing the self-portrait as a form of self-expression. He plays with the idea of being on the edge of immortality by preserving ourselves on canvas for eternity. 
The rest I share in his words:
“COMO YO PUEDO” ("How can I" - edit) establishes connections between the self-portrait in the painting of great masters, and the phenomenon of self-representation through photography - thanks to the selfie. In return, it links together the painting and social media. The artist chose Instagram to look for the publications whose location refers to the studios or homes of the world's most important artists in the field of self-portrait - Alberto Durero, Frida Kahlo, Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Diego Rivera, Edvard Munch, Osvaldo Guayasamín, Salvador Dalí, among others - and so find a current view of this phenomenon of self-expression through selfies in front of mirrors (mirror selfie)."

An interesting idea, isn't it? I'm using the mirror of a great mater (here Rembrandt), to take a selfie as a representation of myself. The same object that he could have used to make a self-portrait, as a representation of himself. The object itself connect us in time and space.

So this is how and ArtMirrorSelfie travels the world and ends up in a random gallery in Havana, and becomes, who knows...famous one day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm your fun - Yellowism - Lemonism - Akemi Takeya

When I'm on holiday, I don't always plan to go to a museum or see an exhibition. And the ones I run into randomly are the best! This happened in Hall in Tirol a couple of weeks ago. Imagine this munt factory , remain from the middle ages, the first of its kind. There's a sign at the entrance. "LEMONISM - AKEMI TAKEYA" and a bleeding lemon on the picture. *Right, something else is also on display.* - I'm thinking unconsciously.  It's interesting enough to see how money developed from tiny crooked thingies into super metal, unbreakable various of thalers, then euros. The building is old, has wooden machines inside, a much-much history to speak about. And then there comes the part when you get to climb up to the tower to see the town. Entering the narrow snaily staircase we hear squeaking and a mixture of metal music.  And then I remember: "hah! this must be something contemporary!" I can't wait to reach the top! The music is very disturbing, al

It was not allowed to sing in public - Wait, what?! - BAK performance, music love

During corona times it was not allowed to sing in public. Did you know that?! wtf... I mean if you play music, and especially sing, you have probably known this. This whole lockdown was hard on everyone, and now I had to realize, on musicians in particular. Real music (no matter what kind) is performed on stage. Done. Though I have listened to music every day, I haven't realized what was I missing with lacking the chance of getting to listen to live performed music. Until last Sunday, when I went to BAK, basis voor actuele kunst to see the Open Stage organized by De Voorkamer . Sitting there (strictly 5 - 6 seats away from each other)  made me realize that the simple act of playing the guitar and singing next to it is a magical act and how much I was missing it. Really. Already there I though of cheesy stuff to tell about the concert and how talented the guys were, and how music is magic and this kind of stuff. The 'On the Spot' open stage is a usual event in De Voorkamer&#