Skip to main content

I'm your fun - Yellowism - Lemonism - Akemi Takeya

When I'm on holiday, I don't always plan to go to a museum or see an exhibition. And the ones I run into randomly are the best!

This happened in Hall in Tirol a couple of weeks ago.
Imagine this munt factory, remain from the middle ages, the first of its kind. There's a sign at the entrance. "LEMONISM - AKEMI TAKEYA" and a bleeding lemon on the picture. *Right, something else is also on display.* - I'm thinking unconsciously. 

It's interesting enough to see how money developed from tiny crooked thingies into super metal, unbreakable various of thalers, then euros. The building is old, has wooden machines inside, a much-much history to speak about.

And then there comes the part when you get to climb up to the tower to see the town. Entering the narrow snaily staircase we hear squeaking and a mixture of metal music. 

And then I remember: "hah! this must be something contemporary!"

I can't wait to reach the top! The music is very disturbing, almost scary as I climb alone on the narrow wooden stairs, not seeing the next turn or level. And then I arrive:
lemons, half-rotten lying everywhere on the floor of a circular room with the staircase in the middle. The music changes into something I would call progressive tribe music, but I really don't know.

And I love it! It's scary, weird and makes absolutely no sense!



On the next floor, there is this weird, huge puppet, with lemon head, and several others next to it in a circle like a sacred killing ritual. The music is still the same. An old building, with pale withe, tilted walls with a meaning of materialism and these absurd lemon-headed dolls rotting surrounded with scary upbeat music. But wtf is this? What does this thing doing here?




"Akemi Takeya confronts different “art isms” with her idea of Lemonism" - can be read on the website of the Japanese born, Vienna based artist.  "LEMONISM and Actionism, adapts and re-enacts the strategies of the Viennese 1960s artistic movement.". The lemon becomes the representation of the body and redefinition of it. This complex idea is complete with a performance that leads the viewer into the shocking acknowledgment of our transforming, fragile body.

So these little things with the lemon head are us. Our body and how it' changing through time and age. And how unconscious we are about it. Does the representation of "ism" reflect the changing times? Does that stand in parallel to our changing body? Do the exhibition space and its function reflect on this idea of changing or is it a coincidence? I don't know, unfortunately, but these are the questions I'd ask as a reporter.





I love the contrast of the physical place and the artwork itself. So different and yet, with the representation of materialISM and lemonISM fits perfectly together in my mind. Shocking and surprising, hard to understand. One really has to spend time and stare at the little figures to process the work. Or just stare at its weirdness. 

What's was the most controversial artwork - show space that you've ever seen? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was not allowed to sing in public - Wait, what?! - BAK performance, music love

During corona times it was not allowed to sing in public. Did you know that?! wtf... I mean if you play music, and especially sing, you have probably known this. This whole lockdown was hard on everyone, and now I had to realize, on musicians in particular. Real music (no matter what kind) is performed on stage. Done. Though I have listened to music every day, I haven't realized what was I missing with lacking the chance of getting to listen to live performed music. Until last Sunday, when I went to BAK, basis voor actuele kunst to see the Open Stage organized by De Voorkamer . Sitting there (strictly 5 - 6 seats away from each other)  made me realize that the simple act of playing the guitar and singing next to it is a magical act and how much I was missing it. Really. Already there I though of cheesy stuff to tell about the concert and how talented the guys were, and how music is magic and this kind of stuff. The 'On the Spot' open stage is a usual event in De Voorkamer&#

Surprise from a stranger - meeting Chuli Herrera

So imagine you post a picture on your social media. And bammmm! You are all of a sudden famous. What would you do? Some are attracted to this idea, and I would lie if I'd say I wasn't. But I was a bit shocked when I saw an artmirrorselfie hanging in an exhibition. But let's don't rush so fast forward! In today's online world pictures and words travel faster than ever. This is why I am always careful about what and how I post. One day ArtMirrorSelfies was tagged on a photo of a corner of a picture frame. Well...weird, but whatever. People are weird. Then weeks later it was tagged again by the same person on a blurry, half-done painting talking about "details" in Spanish. Still weird. "Am I being scammed somehow?" - I was wondering. Then again a couple of weeks later I was tagged on pictures of an opening, in a gallery with similar style paintings, and all of the paintings had the same topic: Art Mirror Selfies. This is how I found Chuli Herrera -