Skip to main content

bb11 - random Berlin, conscious Biennale

 I mentioned already that I don't often go to temporary exhibitions when I'm on holiday. Because of two very simple reasons: 
- I do wanna see the important/touristy stuff in a city in which I've never been to (I know lame, and not hip at all)
- and I'm usually with other people, who are not as enthusiastic about contemp art as I am
These two need compromising on what to see, what to squeeze in the limited time given in a place.

Berlin is definitely an exception: first of all because I'm going to go back.
Second: because Berling offers so much stuff to do that 

I don't even feel the FOMO anymore...

it's simply impossible to see and do even the most basic things stuffed in a long weekend. Therefore I chose to go to the biennale to the Gropius Bau. One of the four locations recommended by the local friend whos said that the building itself worth a visit. Win-win I get to see the biennale, they get to see something interesting, and a tourist point is ticked off the list.

"The Crack begins within" is an epilogue, brings together these experiences and the issues of 4 previous exhibitions by the biennale. And yes, the works are scratching the surface of something uncomfortable: what do we know about the big art here in Western Europe?

Interesting is that the further I'm in time from the things I saw, the more I think about them. After the show, I thought: "hm, okay, was nice, I have one work I liked." But now I'm going through the material I remember more and more works I would like to write about.

My fav piece was a half room. I can't find the artist as the website of the bb is so not user friendly that I just can't browse and see who did what. So shout out if you know!
The subtle sound of a bird, blurry sunset lights, and shadows of sharp edges. For me, this work was simplicity itself, warm jungle, fragile nature.

 


My second favorite is Bartolina Xixa's drag folk performance. Yes, drag and folk. And if you watch the video you notice, the folk of South America. And you see garbage and smoke around. And if you speak Spanish you understand all the messages this song sends. 


It's such a weird mixture of colors, disgust, nice music, heavy messages that it's not enough to watch this video once. People are standing bewildered of the projected video for long long minutes and go back to see it once more.

The third installation is from Mapa Teatro. I could try to explain why you should see it, but I couldn't really. It's a combination of space, sound, and film, which sucks you in completely. You have to stay and see how the old goldsmiths work with the material with the sound of the jungle in your ears. 
And you watch the video, and just can't move away.

Lots of Latin American problems/questions are addressed in the exhibition, which might even slip our everyday source of information, but absolutely worth thinking a bit through.
It is an exhibition to read alog with. Otherwise, it's not worth it. But if you do so a chain of thoughs provied talking topic for the rest of your nights.

If you happen to be in Berlin before 1st of November, go to the Gropius BauGo with open ears and eyes and look at the work like you have never seen contemporary art before! It's going to be a whole new experience!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm your fun - Yellowism - Lemonism - Akemi Takeya

When I'm on holiday, I don't always plan to go to a museum or see an exhibition. And the ones I run into randomly are the best! This happened in Hall in Tirol a couple of weeks ago. Imagine this munt factory , remain from the middle ages, the first of its kind. There's a sign at the entrance. "LEMONISM - AKEMI TAKEYA" and a bleeding lemon on the picture. *Right, something else is also on display.* - I'm thinking unconsciously.  It's interesting enough to see how money developed from tiny crooked thingies into super metal, unbreakable various of thalers, then euros. The building is old, has wooden machines inside, a much-much history to speak about. And then there comes the part when you get to climb up to the tower to see the town. Entering the narrow snaily staircase we hear squeaking and a mixture of metal music.  And then I remember: "hah! this must be something contemporary!" I can't wait to reach the top! The music is very disturbing, al

It was not allowed to sing in public - Wait, what?! - BAK performance, music love

During corona times it was not allowed to sing in public. Did you know that?! wtf... I mean if you play music, and especially sing, you have probably known this. This whole lockdown was hard on everyone, and now I had to realize, on musicians in particular. Real music (no matter what kind) is performed on stage. Done. Though I have listened to music every day, I haven't realized what was I missing with lacking the chance of getting to listen to live performed music. Until last Sunday, when I went to BAK, basis voor actuele kunst to see the Open Stage organized by De Voorkamer . Sitting there (strictly 5 - 6 seats away from each other)  made me realize that the simple act of playing the guitar and singing next to it is a magical act and how much I was missing it. Really. Already there I though of cheesy stuff to tell about the concert and how talented the guys were, and how music is magic and this kind of stuff. The 'On the Spot' open stage is a usual event in De Voorkamer&#

Surprise from a stranger - meeting Chuli Herrera

So imagine you post a picture on your social media. And bammmm! You are all of a sudden famous. What would you do? Some are attracted to this idea, and I would lie if I'd say I wasn't. But I was a bit shocked when I saw an artmirrorselfie hanging in an exhibition. But let's don't rush so fast forward! In today's online world pictures and words travel faster than ever. This is why I am always careful about what and how I post. One day ArtMirrorSelfies was tagged on a photo of a corner of a picture frame. Well...weird, but whatever. People are weird. Then weeks later it was tagged again by the same person on a blurry, half-done painting talking about "details" in Spanish. Still weird. "Am I being scammed somehow?" - I was wondering. Then again a couple of weeks later I was tagged on pictures of an opening, in a gallery with similar style paintings, and all of the paintings had the same topic: Art Mirror Selfies. This is how I found Chuli Herrera -